Company & Role Overview
You will be responsible and held accountable to the Lead Project Manager for managing a range of building refurbishment projects, engineering installations, preparing feasibility options, and preparing and managing contract schemes. The role also includes designing small works and is expected to undertake a wide variety of schemes. You will be the responsible person for the delivery of allocated refurbishment schemes generally up to £3m with the majority being £50k to £2m. The role holder will be expected to manage a variety of size of scheme as required and to ensure that all schemes are delivered on time, within budget and to the quality expected, whilst ensuring a fast turnaround and a customer focused service.
- To act as lead where allocated and deliver a range of building and engineering
- refurbishment projects including the agreement of client brief, the preparation of drawings on AutoCAD where required, preparation of specifications, applications for Planning Approval and Building Regulations, and the preparation of appropriate health and safety plans, risk assessments, and method statements. All in close association and liaison with engineering colleagues regarding building services requirements and other relevant stakeholders such as the Fire Officer and Health & Safety Unit amongst others.
- To manage multiple projects at one time often with pressing deadlines and to ensure that work is prioritised appropriately considering importance of certain projects to university reputation, research need, and requirements of beneficiaries and other University activities.
- To programme and plan the delivery of projects appropriately within live buildings considering noise avoidance during university activities such as graduations, events, open days, examinations and the like.
- To produce tender documentation for relevant schemes, including all prelims, specifications, contract amendments, and undertake reviews of tender returns and producing tender evaluation reports.
- To act as contract administrator for relevant schemes.
- To support the Lead Project Manager in the continual development of service delivery processes including the Project Management Procedures and appropriate guidelines.
- To deliver schemes in line with Project Management Procedures including the production and regular updating or project programmes, change control registers, risk registers, client briefs, meeting minutes, etc.
- To ensure compliance with Health & Safety policies and relevant statutory standards including the Health & Safety at Work Act within allocated projects. Ensure that the permit to work systems, risk assessments, safe working practices and safety plans are implemented.
- Participate in ‘out of hours’ call out service if required and carry out such other duties as may be commensurate with the post.
- Good negotiation skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative and effectively prioritise a varied and demanding workload, often to tight deadlines.
- Practical approach to problem solving.
- Responsive and enthusiastic.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Good time management, planning and organisational skills.
- Demonstrable ability to cover in the department and provide reasonable flexibility in terms of hours worked
- Experience of budget and project management (delivering on time, budget and to the required quality).
- Experience of managing a multi- disciplinary design team/contractors.
- Working knowledge of CDM and Health and Safety Regulations.
- Excellent ICT skills including MS Word, Excel and email.